The College

Midyear Completion

Each year, many Brown students complete degree requirements in the summer session or at the end of the fall semester. These students are affectionately known as "0.5ers."

For information about the December ceremony, visit the Midyear Completion Celebration website

Students completing their degree requirements midyear receive their diplomas in May of the calendar year following their completion of degree requirements. Diplomas will be sent in the mail to the address listed in Banner Self Service.

If you have any additional questions about Midyear Completion, email

Frequently Asked Questions

Students who complete in the summer, fall, or spring, are all eligible to participate in University Commencement Activities, although only students who have completed all degree requirements will have their names printed in the University-wide Commencement Bulletin.

Guidance for Commencement 2022 is available on the Brown Commencement website. Students should consult with their concentration advisor/director of undergraduate studies, or department or student affairs manager about the possibility of participating in the department's Commencement ceremony.

The Registrar's website has a a document listing Important Commencement Deadlines.